McCoy Pottery is known for their fabulous vintage pieces; they have been a favorite amongst collectors for over a century! It was established in 1899, under the ownership of James W. McCoy. The company was initially called J.W. McCoy, and they created basic pottery pieces. By 1910, James McCoy and his son, Nelson, collaborated to create Nelson McCoy Standard Sanitary Stoneware Company. They manufactured functional pieces, and also used clay mined from the local area in Roseville, Ohio.
Up to the early 1930s, McCoy Pottery Company was known for their leaf and floral designs. This was largely in thanks to their head designer, Walter Bauer, who favored this style. The second head designer, Sydney Cope, added a more varied look to the company’s pieces. As they moved further into the twentieth century, Nelson McCoy Standard Sanitary Stoneware Company began to expand and modernize. They no longer focused solely on utilitarian products, which had existed to provide s